Moodle VLE Site Policy
Moodle is the Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) used at The Pyzdek Institute. It is based on the Moodle ‘Course Management System’ (http://www.moodle.org), a free open source software package designed using sound pedagogical principles, to help educators create effective online learning communities. Moodle is distributed under the GNU General Public License.
Moodle provides a range of features for the delivery, support, administration and participation in teaching and learning activities. The features include content delivery and collaboration between tutors and learners, such as:
- Content creation or upload;
- Discussion forums and chat rooms;
- Messaging tools;
- Quizzes; and
- Monitoring of users’ online activity.
The Moodle VLE is integrated with the Pyzdek Institute Student Records database to enable the creation of accounts for enrolled students and their allocation to the appropriate study areas. Other software and web services may also be linked to provide an integrated learning environment for staff and students. The Moodle VLE is defined as the Pyzdek Institute implementation of the Moodle course management system and all other linked software tools for the support and delivery of teaching, learning and research at Pyzdek Institute. Hereafter it will be referred to as ‘The Pyzdek Institute VLE’.
Purpose of the Site Policy
The purpose of the Moodle VLE Site Policy is to specify user responsibilities and to promote the appropriate use of the Pyzdek Institute VLE for the protection of all members of the learning community.
Please note that users include ad hoc learners attending short courses at the Institute.
- All users must register to use the Pyzdek Institute VLE.
- All registered users must agree to the Moodle VLE Site Policy and any other applicable Institute policies.
- These Policies cover the whole period that the user is a member of the Moodle community at the Pyzdek Institute.
- On registration, users must give their consent to Pyzdek Institute’s processing of their personal data via the Pyzdek Institute VLE and to acknowledge the Institute’s Data Protection Statement.
Users of the Pyzdek Institute VLE must agree to:
- Not use the Pyzdek Institute VLE for anything else other than for the purposes of teaching, learning and research. However, incidental personal use, for example via the Moodle social forums, is acceptable.
- Not use the Pyzdek Institute VLE for personal commercial use, for example marketing, unless specifically authorized in writing by the Pyzdek Institute to do so.
- Not use the Pyzdek Institute VLE for uploading, storing, viewing or transmitting any material which is (or may be considered to be) defamatory, inflammatory, discriminatory, obscene or offensive.
- Not misrepresent the Institute or bring it into disrepute in any way through the use of the Pyzdek Institute VLE.
- Be responsible for moderating discussion forums which they may have created.
- Always act in a professional manner. Be polite and courteous to others when using the Pyzdek Institute VLE. The Pyzdek Institute VLE is not to be used to libel, slander, or harass any other persons.
- Not plagiarize in submitted postings or assignments.
- Not breach the copyright of the Institute or any third party by copying from the Pyzdek Institute VLE without authorization. Copyright of the course materials and content of the Pyzdek Institute VLE are owned or controlled by the Institute unless otherwise stated. Any copies of third party materials will be clearly labeled with warnings about any copyright restrictions.
- ensure that any copyright material reproduced and loaded onto Moodle conforms with current US Copyright law. Material not conforming to these requirements will be removed from Moodle.
Your Responsibilities and Data Protection
Users of the Pyzdek Institute VLE must agree to:
- Look after their own username and password. Do not share your password with anyone else and do not use the username and password of other users.
- Keep physical access to the Pyzdek Institute VLE secure. For example, do not login to the Pyzdek Institute VLE and then leave your computer unattended.
- Not attempt to gain unauthorized access to any part of the Pyzdek Institute VLE.
- Not post material which contains viruses or other programs which may disrupt the Institute’s systems.
- Not upload private, confidential or sensitive material unless this is authorized. These are the types of data, which are classified as sensitive:
- Racial or ethnic origin of the data subject;
- His/her political opinions;
- His/her religious beliefs or beliefs of a similar nature;
- Whether s/he is a member of a trade union;
- His/her physical or mental health or condition;
- His/her sexual life;
- The commission or alleged commission of any offence;
- Any proceedings for any offence committed/alleged.
- Keep their own data up-to-date and secure.
- Understand that The Pyzdek Institute will not take responsibility for any loss of information, which has been posted on the Pyzdek Institute VLE, once users cease to be formally associated with the Institute.
Certain activities will be regarded very seriously by the Institute and are subject to severe penalties for users, including suspension of use of the Pyzdek Institute VLE without reimbursement of payments or fees. These activities include deliberate interruption to the use of the Pyzdek Institute VLE; gaining or attempting to gain unauthorized access to any part of the Pyzdek Institute VLE or information stored therein; unauthorized disclosure of personal data; willful or reckless infringement of any intellectual property rights of the Institute or third parties; and the viewing, transmitting or storing any material which is (or may be considered to be) defamatory, inflammatory, discriminatory, obscene or offensive.