Lean Healthcare Overview
A 3-hour online overview of the Lean Healthcare approach to eliminating waste and maximizing work flow. When you have finished this course:
- You will understand what Lean is and why it is important in healthcare.
- You will know about the most important Lean topics, such as value and waste (muda) and why they are important in healthcare
- You will be familiar with Lean Healthcare terminology and concepts
The estimated time commitment for this course is 3.0 hours. You have 30 days to complete the training.
The course covers the following topics:
MODULE 1: WASTE AND VALUE
- What is Lean? How does Lean apply to healthcare?
- Types of waste (muda) in healthcare
- Thinking Lean
- What is value?
- What is a value stream?
- Value added and non-value added activities
MODULE 2: Healthcare value streams, push and pull systems
- Value stream mapping overview
- Takt time
- Spaghetti diagrams for identifying wasted movement
- Making value flow at the pull of the customer or patient
- Constraint (bottleneck) management
- Level loading
- Flexible healthcare processes
- Batch size reduction in healthcare
MODULE 3: PERFECTION
- Continuous improvement towards perfection
- KAIZEN philosophy of continuous improvement
- A strategic perspective of Lean in healthcare
- A tactical perspective of Lean in healthcare
- Elements of Lean Healthcare
- Six Sigma and Lean synergy